Thursday, August 27, 2009
Because I can't seem to keep my brain on one topic for more than a few minutes, here's another dreaded list:
1) I am now the proud owner of a pair of charcoal gray Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars! I haven't worn Converse since my early college days when I discovered that walking around the UF campus required more substantial footwear. But before I graduated to Nikes I had the most perfect forest green All Stars that I wore until they were falling apart. I just hope I love this new pair as much as those. I can't wait to wear them tomorrow!
2) Due to the fires in Southern California the air quality in Los Angeles is terrible. While I was driving home on Tuesday I saw one of the fires as it was starting - a huge plume of smoke pouring out of the mountains. And today I could barely see the mountains through the thick haze of smoke in the distance. Let's hope these fires don't get out of hand. That's when living in LA isn't much fun at all.
3) Thank goodness for the return of Top Chef and Project Runway! Television is very dull in the summer (except for Ice Road Truckers, which I love) and I look forward to new seasons in the fall. I'm not a fan of reality shows in general, but watching people who are extremely talented in their field do what they do best is a lot of fun. Now I don't know much about fashion, but I know enough about food to make my mouth water while watching Top Chef. It usually makes whatever I've made for dinner look pathetic, but I watch anyway.
4) I intended to watch Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone tonight. It's the last HP DVD that I haven't watched recently, but thanks to three loads of laundry it looks like I'm not going to have time. The evenings go by so fast. It's about time for me to go to bed because I have to get up early for spinning in the morning. And if I don't get enough sleep I'll be a zombie when my alarm goes off at 5 AM. Good night!
Posted at 8:03 PM, 0 Comments
Saturday, August 22, 2009
"You just threw a doughnut across the room!"
Tom Colicchio to Wolfgang Puck, "Top Chef Las Vegas"
"Thank the Lord, there's chicken in this box!"
Art Smith, "Top Chef Masters"
Posted at 1:19 PM, 0 Comments
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Forgive me for the continued lists, but I need to add a couple of items to my random Friday post:
7) I just discovered that Air Tran has WiFi on all their flights. Having never had a chance to surf the web on a plane before I'm looking forward to making use of it on my flights to and from Jacksonville next month!
8) I've been watching episodes of Heroes on my iPod at the gym. Season 3 didn't start out that well, but it's getting better the more shows I watch. Only 6 more season 3 episodes to go! That should last me at least 3 workouts.
9) Why do I always forget how horrible junk food makes me feel after I've eaten it? Why?
Posted at 2:20 PM, 0 Comments
Friday, August 14, 2009
1) "This is not normal!" Harry's description of time travel is one of my favorite lines in Prisoner of Azkaban. I still like the Goblet of Fire movie best, though.
2) Several people have teased me about working out so much recently, but I skipped my kickboxing class today for two reasons. One, I was stuck in a meeting that I couldn't get out of. And two, I am incredibly sore after seven workouts in six days.
3) Why can't I find a decent sports bra? The ones I've got are approaching 10 years old and I can't find any good replacements.
4) I made a cherry cobbler the other day that turned out pretty disgusting. I have no idea why, but it was a serious waste of a dessert. I need to make something else to compensate.
5) In sporting news, the Florida football season starts in three weeks! Go Gators!
6) In international sporting news, Dan Carter will be rejoining the New Zealand All Blacks for their match against Australia next weekend. The All Blacks have been struggling this year so any change is for the better.
Posted at 9:10 PM, 0 Comments
Thursday, August 13, 2009
This is what usually goes through my head when I think about my webpage - "So much to write about, so little of it interesting to anyone but me." I really need to see Half-Blood Prince again so I can write about it. And when I finish the book I can comment on the movie's accuracy too! Isn't my life exciting?
Posted at 7:59 AM, 1 Comments
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Going to St. Augustine to meet my parents for the weekend in September = maybe being able to see the Florida football game in the 12th! The good thing is that their game on the 19th is definitely televised (the Tennessee game usually is), so even if I miss the game against Troy I only have to wait another week for Gator football! Can you tell I'm really looking forward to foorball season?
Posted at 9:14 PM, 0 Comments
Saturday, August 08, 2009
Why does the last book in a series always make me cry? I just finished the final book in the Pendragon series and the ending was unexpected. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It's not the way I wanted the series to end, but it wasn't wholly unsatisfactory. For anyone who hasn't read it yet, the Pendragon series is original and entertaining and I would recommend it to anyone who likes to read fantasy. And while you're at it, check out Percy Jackson and the Olympians. It's written for a younger audience, but I still enjoyed it. There was a preview for a movie based on the first book showing with "Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince." I was surprised when we saw it because I had just finished the last Percy Jackson book a few days before. I'm not in the habit of seeing every movie based on a book that I like (i.e., Inkheart, City of Ember), but I hope they don't screw it up like Eragon. What a mess that was. OK, back to the other book I'm currently reading - Half-Blood Prince!
Posted at 10:58 AM, 3 Comments
Friday, August 07, 2009
While watching "Order of the Phoenix" it struck me that it would be difficult to be a wizard in the summer. You know, the robes and all?
Posted at 11:12 PM, 0 Comments
It's Friday! Dan is at the Dodger game with his co-workers so that means I'm at home relaxing by myself. I had a pretty busy day that included two workouts (spinning this morning and kickboxing/Tae Bo at lunchtime), work (what else is new?), an optometrist appointment (another one due to my annoying contacts), and homemade tacos for dinner (I need to post the recipe, it's delicious). And now I've got a couple of loads of laundry in the wash and I'm contemplating what I should watch on TV. I'm leaning towards "Order of the Phoenix" because I really enjoyed watching "Goblet of Fire" earlier this week. Most of all I just want to unwind from the week. This will probably involve some book reading as well as movie watching. I'm halfway through a couple of books right now and I love when I have time to read. That's exactly what weekends are for. That and making up for that workout I missed on Wednesday.
Posted at 8:00 PM, 0 Comments
Thursday, August 06, 2009
see more Lolcats and funny pictures
Posted at 2:38 PM, 1 Comments
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
Guess what? My afternoon aerobics class was cancelled today! Sometimes I swear the universe is conspiring against me. Or maybe punishing me. I knew I should have gone to spinning this morning. I am so mad at myself for being too lazy to get out of bed. Ugh. The good news is that Dan will be home any minute! I missed you baby!
Posted at 5:39 PM, 0 Comments
I know I'm going to regret it, but I didn't get up and go to spinning class this morning. I just couldn't get out of bed at 5 AM. Now I have to pray that my afternoon aerobics class isn't cancelled like it often is. I'm going to be really ticked off at myself if I don't get to work out because I was too lazy to wake up early.
Posted at 7:34 AM, 0 Comments
Tuesday, August 04, 2009
Because I have an excess of random stuff in my brain right now, here's a list:
1) "Goblet of Fire" is definitely my favorite Harry Potter book. And after watching the movie last night, I think it's my favorite of those too. (This was an earlier Twitter tweet that I decided to post here as well.)
2) Related to item #1, am I the only one who thinks Robert Pattinson looked much better as Cedric Diggory than as Edward Cullen? I just don't like the whole 50's greaser look for him.
3) Is it wrong that I miss my Converse All-Stars from high school? Especially the dark green ones that I wore until they had holey soles. I should go out and buy a pair.
4) Ballroom dancing makes me feel really good about myself. Plus, it's something fun I can do with my husband. I'm so glad we continued taking lessons after our wedding.
5) Hooray for season 2 of "Flight of the Conchords" on DVD! I can't wait to watch it with Dan when he gets home.
6) "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" is a horrible television show, so why am I watching it? I should be watching "10 Things I Hate About You" instead.
7) It's a really good thing I don't have an iPhone because I'd be posting even more random stuff here (and on Twitter and Facebook) than I already do!
Posted at 9:34 PM, 0 Comments
Monday, August 03, 2009
To avoid another random Twitter post (and, therefore, Facebook update) I'll write my latest stream-of-consciousness here instead.
As part of my day off I went shopping (not one of my favorite activities) and I spent quite a bit of money - almost all on pants. Why are pants so expensive? Not only that, but since I'm in between petite and regular inseam lengths I can't wear the pants without having them tailored first. I'm always in need of work pants, though, so at least I found a couple of pairs today at Ann Taylor Loft that will work...after I have them hemmed. But I was more excited when I walked in to Old Navy and saw corduroy pants! Fall and winter clothes are more practical in LA because it doesn't get that warm here (in my opinion), even in the summer. In fact, when Dan and I went to Florida last July I had to buy shorts for the trip because I hadn't owned any since I was in college. But corduroy pants are something I can wear practically year-round so I bought three pairs. And the best part is that they're the right length - no tailoring needed! I can't believe I just wrote a whole post about pants. Does anyone know a pace that does good alterations?
Posted at 1:20 PM, 2 Comments
Sunday, August 02, 2009
I just realized that when I get bored and post ridiculous stuff on my Twitter page it shows up as a Facebook status update. Now people have a whole new reason to think I'm crazy.
Posted at 10:31 PM, 0 Comments
My iPod Shuffle is one of my essential gym accessories. I hate when I forget to bring it with me because I really have trouble exercising without it. Since Dan gave it to me for Christmas a couple of years ago I have filled it with songs that I love that I can sing along with as I work out. I have to be able to sing along because I use the songs to regulate my breathing and keep myself on track. So I'm that crazy girl at the gym that you see mouthing the words to some song as she struggles on the elliptical. Sometimes I wonder how many of the other gym patrons think I'm crazy. But listening to my favorite songs makes my workouts fun. Here are the six latest songs I've added to my iPod. This just reinforces my horrible taste in music, but since I'm not subjecting anyone else to it, I refuse to apologize!
Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
Here We Go Again - Demi Lovato
You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift
Battlefield - Jordin Sparks
It's Alright, It's OK - Ashley Tisdale
Lost In Your Own Life - Alexa Vega
Posted at 6:05 PM, 0 Comments
There's something satisfying about watching "Man vs. Food" on the Travel Channel while working out at the gym. But now I'm home and the show doesn't seem quite as appealing when I'm not burning calories. So I'm watching that old "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" movie from the 80's. What a great way to spend a Sunday. If only Dan was here to share it with me, but I took him to the airport this morning before I went to the gym. He'll be at a conference in Denver until Wednesday. He wouldn't like this movie anyway!
Posted at 2:47 PM, 2 Comments