In-flight post #4 – This weekend

Here’s another post (one of two actually) written while en route from Los Angeles to Washington, DC. Once again, I decided that it wasn’t worth it to pay for internet access on my flight so this was posted from the comfort of my hotel room instead. Plus, writing these posts kept my awake for the entire five-hour flight. That might not sound like a good thing, but it’s a very important weapon in fighting jetlag.

I had big plans for last Friday. I was going to get to work early, get a lot accomplished, go to lunch at Portillo’s with Enrique and Jon, finish off my work day in the early afternoon, and spend the rest of the day relaxing at home. Well, some of that happened. I did get to work pretty early (after skipping spinning, sadly) and got some work done, but things didn’t go quite as smoothly as I hoped so when I left for lunch there were still some issues that needed to be resolved that afternoon. Lunch at Portillo’s was delicious as usual, especially because that I figured that my Italian beef sandwich was going to be my last decent meal I would have until I got back from my business trip next week. While I’m on the subject of Italian beef sandwiches, I’d just like to say that my fondness for putting mustard and ketchup on mine might be sacrilegious, but it’s just so tasty! I might not be able to get away with that in Chicago, though, so I’ll stick to Chicago-style eateries in Los Angeles instead. The real Friday craziness started when I got back after lunch. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I wasn’t going to be able to leave early, so my next goal was to avoid working over the weekend. In order to meet that goal I stayed late. It was 8 PM and just about everyone else had gone home, but I was still sitting in front of my four computer screens trying to check everything off my work to do list. Unfortunately as the hour progressed, my fatigue got the better of me and I managed to screw up what I was working on. Since I was exhausted and not willing to stay any later that night, I resigned myself to working on Saturday to get everything done before leaving on my business trip on Monday. Not fun, but necessary. So the next morning I woke up at 7:30 AM (thank goodness the construction crew wasn’t working on the house next door that day or I wouldn’t have been able to even sleep that late) and went to work for an indeterminate amount of time. It turned out to be five hours, which wasn’t enough to get absolutely everything done, but I wasn’t willing to sacrifice any more of my precious weekend hours to work. The rest of Saturday will filled with running errands (library, pharmacy, etc.), baking my very first batch of holiday treats (pumpkin blondies which I will write about in an upcoming post), and other stuff. I was so tired that I went to bed early that night. Sunday was dedicated to shopping. Earlier that week I realized that Dan and I were leaving for Hawaii in three weeks and I only own one functional bathing suit! I thought I had two bikinis that would work on our trip until I discovered that the elastic had died on my older one. Very annoying, especially considering how traumatic swimsuit shopping is. So my number one mission when I drove down to South Coast Plaza on Sunday morning was to buy bathing suits. And since my tolerance for shopping is short, the first store I went to was Everything But Water than exclusively sells swimsuits. With an entire store dedicated to swimwear I was hoping to find a lot of different options, but I wasn’t too thrilled with the selection. After trying on quite a few suits I did manage to find a couple that I liked enough for me to purchase. They cost a fortune, though. The marginal success at Everything But Water was a disappointment, but at least I found something that would work for our trip to Hawaii. Then I remembered a little store on Main Street in Seal Beach that I used to shop at called Endless Summer that used to have racks and racks of bikinis. So even though I was already burned out on shopping when I left South Coast Plaza, I drove to Seal Beach hoping to find something there. And it’s a good thing I did because Endless Summer had all of their summer season bikinis on sale. There wasn’t a huge selection, but I ended up getting three pieces for less than half of what I spent at Everything But Water. So I might be returning some items to South Coast Plaza after I get back from this business trip. I don’t think I need more than three bikinis for our trip, but I need Dan’s opinion on what I bought for I decide what to keep. Unfortunately I had less luck finding sundresses, skirts, and shorts on my shopping excursion. I am kicking myself for not shopping for summer clothes this summer when they were actually in season. I keep looking back, wondering what was keeping me from doing just that. Then I remember that I was depressed for most of the summer. It’s not a good excuse, but it’s the truth. I’m really hoping that I have a couple of pairs of shorts and a skirt or two that fit well enough to take to Hawaii next month. Dresses are going to be more difficult, but while I’m in DC I’m going to try and do a little shopping to see what I can find. Dan and I already have dinner reservations at three nice restaurants during our trip so I’m definitely going to need something a little dressy to wear out in the evenings. Vacation shouldn’t be this stressful!

My flight is just about over so I have to turn off my laptop. I really enjoy passing my time on an airplane writing posts for my webpage. Over this past weekend I felt like I had a lot that I want to write about it, but finding the time to sit down and type it all up was impossible. So what better time than a coast to coast flight?

One thought on “In-flight post #4 – This weekend

Comments are closed.