I admit it, I spent several hours yesterday watching “Jersey Shore.” It’s a really, really awful show, but it’s one of those that if you start watching, you just can’t stop. Anyway, one of my favorite parts of the show is the acronym “GTL,” which means gym, tan, laundry. At least to them. Today I realized that I had established my own, less skin cancer-prone, GTL – gym, Togo’s, laundry…with a few other things in between. Dan left for Florida yesterday and I promised myself I was going to make the most of the time I’ve got while he’s visiting his dad. So how am I doing so far? Here’s a list of what I accomplished today for consideration.
1) I got woken up by a text from Dan at 5:55 AM. He was on a boat in the Gulf of Mexico and he sent me a picture of a fish. I glanced at the photo and promptly fell back asleep.
2) I woke up on my own at 8:30 AM, which is earlier than usual on a Saturday. Last night I realized that I own way too many pairs of pants that I don’t wear and I need to once and for all figure out which ones to keep and which ones to get rid of. So when I got up I tried on every pair of jeans, slacks, shorts, and skirts I own and then sorted them in to “keep,” “donate,” and “alter” piles. Even though it was a small thing, I was glad to get it done.
3) After I filled two big bags of clothes for Goodwill I was left with a stack of six pairs of pants that fit, but were way too long. Although I’m average height for an American woman, finding pants that have the right inseam is all but impossible. So on my way to the gym I dropped off three pairs of jeans and three pairs of slacks (some with the tags still on) to get hemmed. If they turn out well my work wardrobe will have a lot more variety.
4) I decided I didn’t want to slather on sunscreen to take a walk today so I went to the gym instead. My 100 minutes of cardio on the elliptical and stationary bike was much easier than last week, thank goodness. And I got to watch episodes of “No Reservations” as I worked out. Bonus!
5) After my workout I showered, threw on my Gator jersey (which was a little redundant since I was also carrying a Gator gym bag and wearing my company ID on a Gator lanyard), and drove home to watch the Florida vs. Auburn football game. On the way I picked up a delicious turkey sub from Togo’s for lunch. I’ve established a tradition of eating Togo’s on Saturdays while watching football and this week was no exception.
6) Alabama, LSU, and Auburn. Three weeks – three losses. It’s been a depressing run for the Gator faithful. Even at peak strength, with their first string quarterback healthy, Florida would have had trouble with these strong SEC opponents. But with two injured quarterbacks, stringing two good plays together is extremely difficult. This is true for every team, but there are some years that it’s hard to be a fan. Don’t get me wrong, I still bleed Orange and Blue, but the blood is coming from a lot of accumulated wounds right now.
7) After the first Auburn touchdown I started making cookies to keep from sitting on the couch and stressing about the game for four hours. I had the idea to make mini sandwich cookies (aka whoopie pies) for our Halloween party later this month, but I wanted to try out the recipe first. And it’s a good thing I did because today’s results weren’t promising. The cookies were good, but the filling was runny and assembling them was way, way too much trouble. I’ll think I’ll make red velvet brownie bites instead.
8) What was the last part of that GTL acronym again? That’s right – laundry! I’ve been putting off washing clothes for several days, but today I ran out of excuses. I only ran two loads this evening, but it’s a decent start on the mountain that I need to tackle.
Looking back, I definitely think I made the most of my Saturday. That probably explains why I’m so exhausted now. If I want to accomplish just as much tomorrow I need to go to bed soon. Good night!