Plane ramblings

About a month ago I learned that I’d drawn the short straw and that I would have to travel out to DC for work in August. What a horrible time to be on the East Coast! Heat, humidity, and thunderstorms. I moved to California to get away from these things! (Actually, I like thunderstorms, but they’re extremely rare in Los Angeles.) Well, fast forward to today and I’m writing this post on my flight to Dulles. Woohoo! I’ve got a little girl’s elbow in my side (seriously, how can she be so small and still take up so much room?) and the in-flight movie was “Mirror, Mirror” which was terrible. I missed being able to watch “The Avengers” by eleven days. Didn’t flying used to be fun? But anyway, yesterday was my last full day at home, but unfortunately it wasn’t spent doing anything very exciting. Dan has been sick since Tuesday so he’s mostly stayed in bed for the last four days. Poor guy. I got up early yesterday and went on my weekly half marathon walk while it was still overcast and cool outside. The Los Angeles summer heat wave finally broke in the middle of last week or else I wouldn’t have been able to walk outside during the day for three and a half hours without risking heat stroke. Before about Wednesday it had been in the 90s even in the beach cities where I live and work for about two weeks and we’d been really miserable. When you don’t have air conditioning in your house because you almost never need it, you realize how uncomfortable it is to try fall asleep when it’s 83 degrees in your bedroom. Yuck. Hopefully this will be the extent of the hot weather we have this year. Luckily for me yesterday morning was cloudy and cool (in the mid 60s) so I was able to walk my usual 13.1 miles in relative comfort. It was fantastic. I got home, showered, and then immediately went to CVS to get Dan some medicine. He’d been coughing so much that he was worn out and he needed some relief. I picked up something for him at the pharmacy and then got myself a delicious turkey sandwich at Togo’s because I was starving after burning 950 calories (according to my Nike+ app, at least) walking! When I got home Dan came downstairs to watch the previous night’s New Zealand vs. Australia rugby match with me while I ate. The All Blacks shut out the Wallabies so it was a great match to watch and another great victory for New Zealand. After the game was over Dan went back to bed and I got started on a few things. 1) Another batch of chocolate chip cookies. This time I tried a recipe that substituted cream cheese for eggs. Unconventional ingredients intrigue me and I was very interested to see how these cream cheese chocolate chip cookies turned out. Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of them before they all got packed up to take to DC with me, but I’ll write another post about them next week. 2) Packed for my trip. I was planning to start this much earlier in the week, but life got in the way. Luckily I didn’t have many other obligations yesterday so I was able to pack leisurely. I spent a lot of time figuring out how to fit everything I need for a week and a half into a carry on sized suitcase. You see, I’m taking advantage of my business trip to fly to Tallahassee to see my family over the Labor Day weekend after my work obligations are done. This means that I needed to pack shorts, t-shirts, and sandals in addition to my work clothes. And I tried to fit everything in a carry on suitcase because I have to switch airlines on my way home next Tuesday. My flight to and from Dulles is on United, my airline of choice for business travel (although not for much longer due to their degrading frequent flyer program), but my flight to and from Tallahassee is on Delta because it was by far the cheapest ticket available. So on my way back home when I’m flying from Tallahassee to Atlanta to Dulles and then from Dulles to Los Angeles I’ll either have to find a way to get Delta to route my bag directly to LAX or else carry it on all of my flights and deal with all the complications of dragging it around multiple airports. Either way I figured it couldn’t hurt to just pack a carry on sized bag one way or another. I always over pack for trips anyway and the smaller suitcase forced me to economize. I think I did pretty well, especially considering I got everything in there even with some of the limited available space is being taken up by a small Tupperware of chocolate chip cookies for my co-workers! There was even enough space to cram by umbrella in there at the last minute this morning. 3) Watched “Doctor Who.” For years I’ve been feeling like I’m missing out because I haven’t been watching this show so I finally broke down and started watching many years of backlogged episodes on Netflix Instant. So far I’ve finished season 1 (of the modern series which started in 2005) and started on season 2. I’m definitely hooked. Science fiction is right up my alley. I’m looking forward to watching a whole lot more episodes in my free time on this trip. I didn’t bring my iPad with my so I’ll have to use my laptop or my iPhone for Netflix while I’m away from home, but it’s a much nicer prospect that relying on the limited cable channels in my hotel room for entertainment. According to the captain it’s time to turn off our electronic devices so I’ll end this post here. Washington, DC here I come!

One thought on “Plane ramblings

  1. You did a great job taking care of me while I was sick. I felt terrible for being out of commission the last week before you went on travel. I also haven’t tried Dr. Who. Maybe that is a new show to watch!

Comments are closed.