Goofing Off – 04.04.02

Quote of the Day:
“It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy’s not getting any of our Bourbon.”
Commander Tucker, “Enterprise”

At least something good is happening on “Days of Our Lives” today. Sammy and Austin’s second wedding turned out pretty much the same as the first one several years ago. Namely, the marriage never took place. It’s good to know that some things never change. Thursday is the only day of the week that I don’t have class during “Days” so I appreciate an exciting plotline when I am actually around to watch.

After spending most of yesterday, when I wasn’t in class, studying for my third biology test of the semester I made myself go to bed at 3:30 AM. My alarm went off at 7 AM, but I probably would have slept through the exam if Amy hadn’t come home at 7:45 AM and woken me up. The first thing that ran through my mind when I realized I had a test in forty-five minutes was, “Maybe if I stay in bed this whole thing will just go away.” Fortunately I was able to counter the urge to drift back into dreamland. The second thing that ran through my mind was,” What’s the difference between substrate-level phosphorylation and oxidative phosphorylation?” Then I panicked because I couldn’t answer that question and I knew it would be on the test. In the end the exam wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be and I can stop thinking about biology for a while.

I have devoted today to goofing off. Starting at 9:30 AM when I got back from my test, at least. The first thing I did was finish reading “Princess in Love,” the third book in the Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot. If you haven’t read any of these books (and you are female) I would highly recommend them for their witty and amusing writing. Of course these stories are fictional, but I wish I could keep a diary as detailed as Mia’s. Considering you are reading my diary right now you realize that this is just not happening in my case. I’m also not the princess of a small European country and that might have something to do with it.

The next method of relaxation that I tried this morning was shopping therapy. (Sadly, I heard this phrase on a Pier One commercial with Kirstie Alley.) I ordered a bunch of t-shirts from delias.com since I have had such a hard time finding any that I like in the stores. When I clicked the “check out” button I was quite surprised at the total price that showed up. It was more than I expected, but the chance that everything will fit is very small. More than likely I will have to return something and that will lower the eventual charge on my credit card. And if all of the shirts do fit I will be so happy that the cost won’t matter anymore. So one way or another it’s no big deal.

The crossword puzzle is hard today. Usually I spend some time working on the “Alligator” (UF student newspaper) crossword to relax between classes. Sometimes I can finish the whole thing in ten minutes but today is not one of those times.

So now I am sitting on the floor of my room, watching the end of “Days of Our Lives,” and thinking of the things I need to do. Today is Amy’s twenty-third birthday so there are flowers, balloons, and gifts everywhere. I volunteered to arrange a birthday table for her at dinner tomorrow so I have to go pick up the cake and decorations tonight. Let’s just hope I can find a parking space close to the house when I get back. Walking too far with the cake could have disastrous results. Other things on the “to do” list are studying for a computational linear algebra quiz tomorrow and taping the newest episode of “Enterprise” tonight.

I have really enjoyed “Enterprise” since it started last fall. Just like books, TV shows are appealing to me when the characters have personality and history that give them more depth than a face on the screen. I have learned to love some characters on “Enterprise” and appreciate the ones that I wasn’t crazy about to begin with. That’s a sign of good writing.

So now that I have employed writing as yet another form of relaxation I think it has done its job. I managed to write about several things that have been on my mind lately while avoiding the biggest issue. It won’t be long before I have to decide where I am going to graduate school, but I would like to avoid thinking about it at the moment. Since I have devoted today to goofing off I am going to try and find another relaxing pastime before I have to go and get the birthday stuff for Amy. Maybe a nap is the way to go.